I Forge Iron

new knife

antigoth24

it looks good no doubt, but I have a question. since you made it out of a file, which is essentially a bar stock, how did you make the point? Did you cut away material to make the point or did you forge the point? I am working on my first knife and I don't know how to make a point on a blade.

it looks good no doubt, but I have a question. since you made it out of a file, which is essentially a bar stock, how did you make the point? Did you cut away material to make the point or did you forge the point? I am working on my first knife and I don't know how to make a point on a blade.

i forged it...i typically (holding the tongs against my side) bring the stock up to the edge of the anvil and tilt it at a slight angle and then strike the top point of the stock at an angle...this causes the two sides to start slanting together into a point and then place the stock "flat" as in no longer tilting it...and the strike with your hammer at an angle this takes the point away from the center and then continue drawing the point to however fine you want it.