I Forge Iron

Motorcycle gas tank

here is the begining of my tank project

not sure if it will be useable for a bike project I will concider this one to be purely practice

if i cant use it on a bike it will probley be my piggy bank or something

the measurements are
22 1/2 inch's long 8.5 inches tall off the base plate
and 13 inches wide

I looked at the scale approx most bikes vs the size of people and took a guess
I still need to finish the buck today

I probley wont be using a wheel on this one its going to be all slap or nothing

I think I have a piece of aluminum the right size but the patterns need to be cut first thats the goal today

as for what the tank will go on?
I will probley look for a old honda or yamaha 750/1000 bike to modify

I had a honda cb750 at one point I paid 700 bucks for it and it was great
never gave me problems at it was cheap I used it for a year and sold it for 50 bucks more than i paid for it

this project will probley take awhile since I will be trying to find everything at flea market prices my plan is to build the frame or modify it beyond recognition as well as build a harman styled fork

20041.attach

20042.attach

20043.attach

20044.attach

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a bike

get the engine running

pulled the motor

the frame has flashing wrapped around a few sections with jb weld underneath

plan is to build the frame

and THEN make all the tin stuff and make it all work

the motor is a honda 750 four I picked up the bike minus numerous parts i didnt need (seat lights gas tank)
cost me 175 bucks with a title so i am set

I ordered tony foale's motorcycle chassis book

waiting for this to come along with bettering my knowledge of physics i am hoping to design a excellent frame or at least a poorly designed frame that is well made will suit my needs,

We will see what it turns out to be when it is done

I will try my best as always to use the best techniques I can

but the reality is I havent done it before which means I will over look something hopefully only one thing,

Either way, the answer is always try again

just like when mcdonalds has monopoly ;)

We will see what it turns out to be when it is done

I will try my best as always to use the best techniques I can

but the reality is I havent done it before which means I will over look something hopefully only one thing,

Either way, the answer is always try again

just like when mcdonalds has monopoly ;)

The only thing I am unsure of is exactly which way I want the thing handling

typically a chopper is amazing for cruising down the highway but crap in a parking lot lol

One of my projects is a 650 Yamaha. I have the frame stripped, the rear cut off, and am trying to figure out how to make a jig for the rear section.

Good luck on your bike build. Sometimes two wheels are way better than four!

Jed

you shouldnt need a jig

but it wouldnt hurt

check out this guys website he has some decent information for the uninformed on chassis building he also does japanese bikes and shows you how to make a simple tubing bender with the rear drum of a ford festiva

http://www.thefont.info/contents.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I reread my post jed hopefully you didnt take that as me calling you uninformed, I concider myself to be the uninformed

Well here is an update

I have began building a www.gottrikes.com style bender

I have several concepts for the bike figured out but i almost want to make it into a trike lol

Im just kidding but its going to really low slung the back bone is going to have a big curve to it in fact I am figuring that I can probley bend it so that its also the downtube and the backbone

I have many more hours of figuring before I start cutting into dom

The main thing is I have a concept defined, now i need to put it into scale and make the drivetrain fit

I need to decide on forks though because if i dont i may end up regretting it

the bonus side is the power hammer base is pretty much done its all tacked up and about 1/4 welded if that...

the only problem i had was running out of welding wire and then the nozzle was too tight on the diffuser on my welder
so when i unscrewed the nozzle the diffuser came out of the conductor tube. the threads were shot in the conductor tube i loctited them awhile ago but i guess the heat melted that.

eventually i just cut though the liner im going to buy some parts tomorrow
on ebay I found a wicked deal on a bernard q400 gun for 65 bucks brand new I couldnt turn that down lol
i figure I will fix the crappy magnum torch and put it on the shelf because as i have found a 400 amp gun wont fit in everywhere

tomorrow will be a even better day