I Forge Iron

Handle Construction

Howdy all. I've been experimenting with making knives for a while now. I've been wanting to try something a bit harder, hopefully a Tanto or a Wakisashi. I've been trying to gather as much information as I can, But I have been unable to find a description of how the handle is constructed and attached to the blade. I was also wondering what type of clay you use for forming the hamond, Refactory clay??? Thanks

-Bjorn

I can't speak to the clay covering that helps form the hamon but I have handled a few original Japanese swords and all I have seen were pinned with one or more tapered wood dowels. The tang is tapered and completely encased in the handle plus everything is tightly fitted so no slop is evident. The handle lines up with the hole in the tang and the pin is driven into place. The makers wanted the hilt to be removeable so cleaning could be done periodically. I once handled a very long katana at a sword show that had three pins but you seldom see more than one or two pins. I have also seen pictures of very old swords that were refitted from tachi to katana, which have multiple holes drilled in the tang - probably because the new handle didn't work with an existing hole.

The covering on the handle was often shark or ray skin to provide some roughness for a good grip, then the handle was wrapped in silk cord. This makes a good surface since a combat handle had to be held firm by hands potentially covered in blood and sweat.

I think they are usually hidden tang, using two scales with a routed out inside so that the blade fits in between. Allow me to demonstrate with an ASCII diagram:

[|]

The ['s are the scales, and meet at the top and bottom there, and the | is the tang. I could be wrong, however.