I Forge Iron

Oil for Hand Cranked Blower

I just bought a buffalo forge hand cranked blower. The guy who sold it said he took it apart and cleaned it and that the crank case needed oil. I have been told to use anything from 10w oil with a little kerosene to 90w gear oil. What is the proper oil to use? I'm leaning towards the gear oil, but I could be wrong....it has happened before. Thanks..

I have a champion 400 and a small rivet forge. Both are well worn and a little noisy in the gears. I use chain saw "bar and chain oil". It is designed to stay on a high speed chain. There are summer and winter grades. Use the winter grade as it is not so heavy. It quiets down those old gears very well. What ever you use, just don't run them dry. Anvillain

Phillips Petrolium makes many grades of oil. I use "MM" grade 30 wt. in the crank blower. I think 10 wt would be fine. This is non detergent oil. I have I must admit over the years added some seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil. This is in a Canedy Otto blower for the trailer shop.