I Forge Iron

Hidden tang knife w/antler handle

Andrew Smith

Today I got me a deer antler to use for a knife handle but the only problem is that I have no idea how to make a hidden tang Knife. All that I have made is RR spike knives and full tang knives. Also, do you put any kind of finish on the antlers or just leave it like it is? Anything would help.

This is a Iowa white tail horn that a friend gave me 5 years ago. All i did was drill out the antler to accept the tang then drilled through for some brass brazing rod i had. then used 30 min 2 part epoxy, trying to fill all voids with out making a mess. and i haven't put anything on the antler as a finish. Looking at it now i guess i should put somthing on it.:rolleyes:

18300.attach

18301.attach

Heat treat before you put the handle on of course. Put the knife together, drilling holes for pins. Then for stainless I would send out for heat treatment. I don't know or experimented enough with stainless to talk you through it. I don't want to offend or make you feel dumb by saying this, I felt i needed to be stated. :rolleyes:

And post pics, either of the process or finish product. The old saying: "pictures are worth a thousand words".