I Forge Iron

Galvi pipe for side draft

I have read, and am sufficiently worried about galvi (galvanized) pipe. I am also thinking I might be completely over thinking this:

I have a modified Uri side draft. I am making a double walled pipe for the horizontal bit. I have the 12 diameter pipe that I need for the inner pipe, it is galvanized.

It would be about a foot from the forge fire. These side drafts draw really well, so I totally expect the flame to be drawn a foot over and to lick the inner galvi pipe.

Is this going to be a problem, health wise?

-Doug

Doug,
I always err on the side of caution but in this case the real question is: will the galvi-pipe get heated to the point where the heavy metals will gas off. I would bet that if the flame is periodically hitting it you will not have enough sustained heat to cause a problem. Also it is a flue so in the odd event some did gas off they would likely go up the flue and only take out any bird or squirrel that happened to be in the nearby trees.
Doug