I Forge Iron

Passing an MPI

I am working on a job right now (4340 hook) that I have to get Magnetic particle inspected after I get it heat treated. There are no surface cracks allowed anywhere on the forging. After the HT the part will be covered in scale which I have to remove for the test. Will shotblasting, sandblasting, power wirebrushing or hitting with a sanding disk cause any problems with the MPI. Appart from being careful not to get any shuts are there any problems I have to worry about forging this?

my two cents.......

Having to deal with MPI, and Dye pen testing daily with structural steel welding, unless you have a good crack, a type of cold lapping, or any other "structural" anomaly, go ahead and clean it up. Since it is a hook, wire wheel (grinder wire wheel), bead/sand blast should do a very nice job cleaning.

Is this hook made from one piece with folding over forge weld in it? If it has a fold over I am surprised they did not say they wanted a NDT (x-ray) of the weld.

Good luck with it, it is easy to pass. See if they will give you a copy of the report, looks good for your work.