I Forge Iron

forged...yet adjustable gate hinges

I need to make some hinges for a wooden garden gate, the hinges don't have to be totally forged but I want them to them to be.

The gate is getting forged handles, and a bunch of decorative bolts and hammered strapping.

The gate hinges are attaching to an arched doorway that is in a cultured stone clad cinderblock wall. So I can't really make any mistakes anchoring the hinges.

Due to the irregularites in the arch way some adjustablity in the hinges would be nice, I would like to use a forged strap styled hinge on the gate, but would like an inch of adjustibilty...anyone got any ideas?

I was thinking of forging a plate bracket for the wall mount and punching or drilling holes in 2 tabs to allow the use of a threaded rod type gate hanger, which would work but would look to industrial in my eyes.

i guess another option would be to go with the strap style hinges and just get it perfect...but future sagging of the gate is a concern, its a tight fit.

Thanks

Chris

The top hinge is a strap type, and the bottom hinge is a pin that fits into the bottom of the gate. The pin is welded to a steel plate that secures to the ground. The pin bears load and the gate works good, because its sitting on a ball bearing, inside the gate post. The plumbing and leveling is done by sliding the steel plate into position before securing it to the ground. Any dust and grime simply falls out down the hole in the gate post.

Mount your hinge to a plate that would be bolted to the wall with 2 bolts using epoxied threaded rod couplers for anchors. You could adjust the hinges by using different sized spacers behind the plates. I'ved used this system and it works great.

Mount your hinge to a plate that would be bolted to the wall with 2 bolts using epoxied threaded rod couplers for anchors. You could adjust the hinges by using different sized spacers behind the plates. I'ved used this system and it works great.

thats how I normally do it, then I just grout the gap to finish it. theres no room to have the hinges on the inside edge of the archway. I have to make sort of a strap hinge that mounts on the exposed wall besides the archway, so the hinges are opened up flat when the gate is closed and hinge 90 when open.