I Forge Iron

Working brass.

theycallmefix

I need to make a brass lock plate for a rifle I am working on.

I have a lot of thin sheet brass (no problem working with it, but it isn't thick enough) and some thicker cast brass.

I would like to hammer out the cast brass into a plate about 1/8 inch thick and then cut it to the desired shape. Cold working it is not going well. I've cracked the first attempt at getting the curved brass to flatten out. (it used to be an ash tray)

Is this doable, and what do I need to know?

Thanks.
Fix

Ive never hot forged brass before, but I have cold forged a bit, you can move it quite a bit if you anneal regularly. To anneal brass you heat it up ( I got it to approximately the same heat as non magnetic for steel) and then quemch it in water and it will be dead soft.

I tried annealing the brass, but apparently didn't get it hot enough. I was trying to cheat and use the propane outfit in my basement. I think I need to fire up the forge to anneal this chunk since it's kind of a large piece. I'll try again. The ashtray cost me .50 cents so I can afford to mess with it some more.

In the worst case scenario, I always wanted to try sand casting anyway. I already have the scrap brass.

Cast it. Brass casts nicely and you already have the heat source, your forge. Get some fine sand and grind up a little cheap kitty litter for the clay binder, for something the size of a lock plate you won't need much. Make up a small flask out of wood, and you are in business. The biggest challenge will be finding a suitable crucible, but in a pinch you can cut the bottom off an empty (please note empty, and cut slowly with a hacksaw) disposable propane bottle and use that. It will work for a melt or two, and your crucible tongs are a set of channel lock pliers, or your forge tongs.
Just be careful when using this type of crucible to build the heat slow, and watch for hot spots developing. Turn the crucible every now and then in the fire to even out the heat.
Make the pattern slightly oversize, ram it up, and pour. Easy peasy. Of course you may have a new hobby then that is just as addicting as forge work... Don't say I didn't warn ya.;)

I might try casting it. I'll probably just buy a crucible, It seems like I saw them somewhere cheap.

I've collected a lot of scrap brass over the years and it would give me a brand new way to use all of that scrap.

And like I said before I've always wanted to try casting anyway.

Thanks
Fix