I Forge Iron

Air hammers

I am scrounging up the parts to build an air hammer and got a question about the through of the ram. when i build it how high should i set the ram in relationship to the dies meeting? and what is a good distance from top to bottom die when fully open? I am shure I will come up with more questions once i start building. I have got a good bit to start with now and want to at least start framing it up.

Think about a treadle hammer and all the top and bottom tools you can use with it as well as the basic flat or drawing dies. You can use these same type of tools with your air hammer. I think I would make either the bottom anvil or the top cylinder / hammer vertically adjustable. Using plate shims under the bottom anvil to raise it or lower it seems like a pretty simple plan. My 2 cents worth. Jim C.

For power hammer tools shorter is safer and better. Take a look at the set of power hammer tools at Big Blu Hammers and you'll get a good idea of what is common. Also, the Blacksmiths Manual Illustrated, available as a free download at the Cosira website is an excellent reference. Not a bad idea to decide what you want to use on your hammer then design to it. I think most air hammers have about 9" as standard clearance, but others here will know more.

RBrown: Have you looked at the classic Kinyon style air hammer plans?
http://www.bookmasters.com/abana/plans.htm
Phil Rosche in Summerville SC has built several, and even written articles for the Hammer's Blow on building one. His latest is smooth and hard-hitting, with exceptional control. It is almost certainly worth your time and gas to visit someone who has one you can look at and operate. For your first one, I'm not sure you want to re-invent the wheel.... er hammer.