I Forge Iron

Looking for info about my "free" anvil

Hello to all.

Well I am a lucky man in that I was given an anvil for free, but as the saying goes "nothing in this world is free" and this anvil was not.

The anvil was a "blow out". During the casting the mold moved and thus I had a large amount of metal on the shoulder and waist that needed to be removed. With the use of zip cut and grinding disks I now have a fairly nice looking anvil, all that is left is the build up and hard facing.

The "ID" part is somewhat simple. On the side that had the blow out it says 100LBS, on the other is says STANDARD IRON WORKS, easy to read. What I would like to know is if anyone knows about these anvils or where I can get more info. about them. I have found 2 possible companies, standard iron works in PA that mentions only structural and rail road work, and one called standard iron works and wire ltd that do structural. Neither company have any info about making anvils.

Any Ideas?

Here are a few pics of the anvil after I cleaned it up. I did try a grind testing on it in the dark, got a few sparks that were short/medium and had a good spark on the end, like a cross, not like when I am grinding steel.

="http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/Narille/?albumview=grid"]

BTW, the markings under the name is BB14

Edited by DennisG

I visited a local artisan blacksmith I know at his shop today. He runs a few Blacksmithing courses, I have taken the beginners and will one day move up. He looked over the anvil and let me know it was cast iron. The design is standard and he figures it is a copy where a company just put their name on it. He then gave me pointers on how to face it, I will share that fun later. I have weighed the anvil at work and it is 101lbs.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread for my first post, but I came across this thread while searching the interwebs for info on Standard Iron Works anvil, which interestingly enough I found in Edmonton. Not sure if it is the same anvil or a common brand here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.