I Forge Iron

Making Jewelry?

billp

I know some time back someone asked about bracelets, but has anyone ever tried making jewelry using polished rock or inexpensive gem stones? I have a great deal of different crystal and polished rock that use to belong to my wife's grandfather as he was a rock hound. I have been thinking of trying to come up with a way of using these small treasured to make jewelery with them. He tried but with cheep pre-made settings which did not turn out to well looking like something you would pick up at a flee market.

Just curious if anyone had any idea's or if they had tried this before or just what experience if any anyone had. As my wife dearly loves jewelery of any type thought might not be a bad area to move into as she and her friends seem to go for anything different and hand made.
Please let me know
BillP

Hey Bill,

Take a look at your local community college and see if they offer a metal arts/jewelry class. It's a great way to get an intro into jewelry making to see if you like it and you'll have access to all the right equipment and know-how needed.

I used to do a lot of jewellery with semi precious stones, the settings don't have to be very complicated. A simple way is by using wire and constructing a "cage" for the piece of rock. You could go to your local library and find books on jewellery. but I would also advise to get on a jewellery course as you would benefit by being able to bring in the rocks and seeing what type of setting would be most suitable. Good luck

I don't know how close you are to the NC state line, but there is the John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. Among many other things they offer courses in jewelry. Their website is www.folkschool.org . I really want to get up that way and take some of their blacksmithing classes.

Thanks folks for your input, I live 30 miles north of Memphis, TN. so NC is kind of out of the question. But, I do think the Metal Museum in Memphis may teach some type of classes after you complete there blacksmithing classes. Which I plan to do but want start up till after the start of the new year. Just thought I might play around a little with it now and wondered if anyone else had as well and what advice they might have to give. I did check out the sights given will come in handy I'm sure.
Thanks again.
BillP