I Forge Iron

Purchase Locally?

OK, I tried and search here (Perth) to start my 'smithy' tools via the internet and going to .......(insert tool supplier).... where I buy my trade tools, remember I'm a mechanical fitter, and no one seems to supply even the basics.

Until I get to the Claremont Showgrounds and have a chat is there somewhere local or will I have to go interstate/oversea's to get my tools together including anvil. I've downloaded a design for a gas forge.

Macca,

Don't get too hung up on getting the "right" tool for everything. For an anvil a length of 6x6 upended in a bucket of concrete will work really well. Initially a set of vice grips will work as tongs, till you make your own first set. A ball pein hammer will work and you can get old ones no-one else wants and modify them later for your uses.

Blacksmiths supplies are a rare commodity here in Aus so acting like the old timers and making our own is part of the game. I would avoid feabay as the collectors get in there and really inflate the price.

Cheers

Thanks for the info fella's, yesterday I picked up a 40oz ball pein hammer (had to get that ordered in). It's a start, as for a anvil I'm going to try my luck at some railway track, I remember a couple of years back a mate from the army told me about railway track making a relatively good anvil, I pretty much dismissed it at the time and left the piece of track. Now it's a case of regret.

Hi Macca
I rang the two phone numbers 1 Vic no good
2/ closed down 18 months ago but still has some stock give him a ring at night as he is working SA time . The site i got the info from is about 2 yrs old not updated . Red Frog !
Hope this helps John:confused:

G'day Macca, regarding tongs. If you are just getting started in blacksmithing and are in need of your first two or three pair of tongs to get you going, you could try contacting Ray Gard at Raven Forge in Victoria. He may make some up for you? Check out his website at: www.ravenforge.com.au I reckon two or three pair will get you well on your way. If you decide to join BAWA at some later date, we will be happy to show you how to go about making your own. None of us are experts at BAWA, but we'll happily teach you what we know and as has already been correctly mentioned, making your own is the best way to go. Tong making also has the added bonus of teaching you a number of traditional blacksmithing processes, which can and will be used in lots of other projects. Just thought I'd add my two bob's worth.
Regards, Brian.

I have had good luck with Poor Boy Blacksmith tools. He sells on eBay and ships worldwide.

in my experience they are good for the price with one exception: If he welded it, and you plan to beat on it (fullers for the hardy) it will not stand up.

I was most happy with his tongs, those are welded too, but you do not beat on them.

eBay Store - Poor Boy Blacksmith Tools: Category 1

Doug