I Forge Iron

My first Forge

Stroyeror

OK guys i just built my first forge. I know its simple but I'm new at this, and it was in my means to make. The adobe is still drying in this picture. I just went out and checked it a few minutes ago the adobe is hardening and settling so now there is more room between the adobe walls (witch is what i hoping for).

100_4225.jpg

I'm waiting for mine to dry as well so it would be helpful if you posted any problems you had with it and I will do the same. Although mine is not oval since I could not find that in my area.

yea sure

First fire be careful if you used cement it may explode.

Mine did but i was expecting it too, so i stayed back when i didn't have to be near it. When it exploded it just kinda blew off like slate didn't deform the forge. after that i ran it for about a hour and a half with no trouble.

If you use cement leave it till its as dry as it can get then build a small wood fire in it to dry it even more then start the air to increase the heat. Once its gone through that cycle you can use charcoal or coal in it as you wish. You have to force the moisture that cement likes to hold out of it then its OK to use.

In this type of forge the cement is quite thick in places and will take a while to dry out enough even for the first fire.

yea sure

First fire be careful if you used cement it may explode.

Mine did but i was expecting it too, so i stayed back when i didn't have to be near it. When it exploded it just kinda blew off like slate didn't deform the forge. after that i ran it for about a hour and a half with no trouble.

I used clay and sand but I have not done it's first fire yet because it has not dried. I moved it to my garage to today from my basement. I'm afraid to move it outside because I has been raining frequently where I live. The concrete exploded because there are air bubbles in it. Same thing happens with clay but I'm hoping I packed it in enough for it not to explode.