I Forge Iron

Hello...........

Hi all....... Not even a novice here, but I bought an old 126LB anvil a week ago and have been imersing myself in knowledge ever since... Wow to say the least... It is great to see a form like this exists, and with all the threads I have read, seems like it is full of Great People! Brian...

Nitewalker,
When you finish reading what is shown on the forum, go to the bottom of the page and click on archives, then click on one of the discussions (blacksmithing for instance). This will show a list of the topics that are "archived" and available for viewing. Click on the subject you want and the conversation is listed for your review.

You can use the search feature and enter key words to find things. There are 3 search engines, one for the opening page of IForgeIron, a different search engine for the IForgeIron Forum, and yet another search engine for the IForgeIron Gallery.

Then there are the Blueprints, or how-to projects.

Welcome to the site.

There are a lot of Texans around here so come join the chat. VLAD is in Waco bbb is in Hutto, Tom east of Giddings, Bill-E in Mesquite, some more over near Tyler and I am in the Valley. There is a very actrive group around Austin with a demo soon. Maybe the Anvilfire links would get you to the Balconnes group.
Tio

Howdy Nightwalker!! and welcome. I'm in East Texas, just out of Longview! There are a great bunch in your area that meet every 2nd Sat of the month, the North Texas Blacksmith Assoc. Our daughter and son-in-law live in Dallas and when we are en the area I try to make a meeting. I also volunteer at the blacksmith shop in the 'Old City Park' in Dallas. I think it is called 'Dallas Heritage Village' now. Once again WELCOME!

Hello Nightwalker, just wanted to drop you a note and say that you have just begun a killer hobby! Whether you make knives, gates, fireplace pokers, spoons, spatulas, trivets or tools...it's all fun. A few words of advice from someone who is relatively new to the smithing game, read everything you can get your hands on, join a smithing group and catch the meetings. Don't be afraid to ask questions, these guys are a great source of info. There are a few salty ones out there that have been around an anvil a long time and have probably forgotten more that I'll ever know. We also chat alot at this addy

link removed at the request of anvilfire

Once again, welcome to the fine world of smithing...If I can help you in any way just holler.

Later

Vlad

thanks all for the input, I have just finished a stand for my anvil, it is for the most part just gonna be a hobby.... Baby steps right now, My anvil is a "made in sweden, 126 Lb" and something about "superior" on it as well, it has a mouse hole under the hardie hole end, so, what is the use for the mouse hole?? I am sure there is an answer for that one........... Thanks again for all the input, I do appreciate it. Brian...

The mouse hole you refer to is a handling hole. They would use bars or tongs like ice tongs to pick up and handle the anvil during manufacture and the quenching prosess. Most of this heavy work was done by way of an overhead crain system.