I Forge Iron

Good article - NY times

HWooldridge

I thought this article was very interesting and reflects much of my personal philosophy on life and work. It appeared last week in the New York Times online and has a good analysis of the false distinction made between industrial workers and "knowledge workers." I also think it's encouraging that this piece appeared in national media - primarily because it directly contradicts the business of aiming every student at college so tuition fees can be collected, regardless of whether it's right for their career or not. If you have trouble with the link, you can find the article "A Case for Working with Your Hands" Here's the direct link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?emc=eta1.

Edited by mod07
wrong url

Thanks for the link. I have often reflected that I was a victim of my times and my culture. I spent years doing work that was satisfying but ultimately unfullfilling.
The only compensation was that it payed well.

Today to be a "hand worker" the level of specialized knowledge required is not so different from a college degree that it makes any difference. I recognized that when I worked in a steel mill 40 years ago. I went to college because I suspected that the industry was headed into the tank. The attraction of working with hot iron in the mill had a powerfull hold even then.

Edited by Charlotte
typo

Very well written article giving a good insight to both sides of the working world.The fact that a tradesman does not attend College or University and does not get a degree from said institutions, does not mean that he is less educated than those that do. If one takes into account the number of hours one spends learning his/her craft and compares those hours to the number of hours spent in the schools learning to obtain a degree, they would find that they have put more time and training into learning the craft than required to earn a degree.
Apprenticeships in trades generally run from 3 years (6,240 hrs) to at least 5 years (10,400 hrs) and in some specialized trades more than 5 years, and involve schooling as well.Even after these hours are put in there usually remains another year or two of "improvership" before you become classified in your chosen trade.These hours are put in on a continuous basis with just one or two vacation weeks a year as opposed to summer vacation, spring break, Christmas break etc. I think that most trades after completion including a number of years additional experience are the equivalent of a Masters degree from College or University and some even attain a level of skill equivalent to a PHD.
I think that one reader comment summed it up very well with a quote from a Danish proverb;

"You can do the work of the mind without the hand, but you can't do the work of the hand without the mind"

Terry

I spent five years in collage, never got a degree though. My reason for not getting one was because I didn't want to go to work for some big company as M.M. The collage I went to seemed as though it was under contract to groom people for a few industries in the area (computers and insurance). I always got a hard time when people asked me what my major was... Art and Business I'd say with strong dose of Humanities and Philosophy. Mostly, I just wanted exposure to things in life I would not normally see in the day to day. I was also in my mid twenties.
I payed my way making furniture from wood.

Something that has always bothered me about the snubbing of the tradesman/craftsman/artist- You love what you do so it stands to reason, you shouldn't be paid as much as someone who does not like what they do (read that as office worker). I've had more people us that excuse while trying to barter something out of me... My reply "I have as much right as anyone else to make a decent living", albeit, doing what I love, er, had no choice over....

It seems to me this phenomenon is happening a lot, just look at all the new Blacksmiths joining this site and try finding an anvil for a decent price- used to be, you could pick them up as scrap...

I earned a BS in two disciplines but never assumed I was smarter than the next guy because of it. I've also known a lot of highly intelligent people who never went to college but have been very successful in life.

I also ran up against a "glass ceiling" for promotion in one company that I worked for because I did not have an MBA - and furthermore, it had to be from an Ivy League school, so an MBA from UT or A&M didn't count. That was pure hogwash in my book and simply more reason not to continue my career within that corporation.

The high school my sons went to did not offer industrial arts. Industrial arts is for dumb people. I had to correct the counselor at that point and tell her that dumb meant non talking and my sons could most certainly talk. They both tested out as gifted but didn't do well in the gifted classes, nothing for them to do with their hands. They are busy boys, ADHD and sitting and listing to some teacher drone on and on is not what they needed. They both would have thrived in shop but it isn't taught anymore in high school, you have to wait until after graduation and pay to go to a trade school for big bucks.