I Forge Iron

Newbie Burner information?

Anarx

I have been gathering the supplies to make my ammo can forge. I have the firebrick and kaowool. having some trouble coming up with fireclay but i have not checked the big box stores yet.

my questions are in regards to the burners. right now i am planing on going with the 'Reil Burner' for this forge but i have been wondering about other kinds of burners.

I have seen people that use Mig Tips for their burners and some other designs.

is there a Newbies guide to building burners that will explain the pros and cons of each type?

Have you looked at the Gas forge stickies posted at the top of the Blacksmithing general discussion?

There is a wealth of information there and burner types mentioned in passing.

The MIG tip selection is based on an easily available drilled orifice.
The size selection is based on the size of the burner you are building.

If I were going to build an atmospheric forge from scratch I would buy one of the mid sized burners from Hybridburners.com home page. They are sophisticted product the performs exactly as advertised. The Reil burners also work well and are a little less sophisticted so need a little more tuning but work as advertised.

I suggest you use the search function and look at the many threads for gas forge burners. You will see that there are many ways to skin this partiiculiar feline.