I Forge Iron

suggestions for gas forge hood

My propane forge is on a cart so I can forge in the open. The fire hazard and CO risk keep me from working inside the shop. The blower for a coal forge shots vertical while a propane forge vents horizonal to the front and rear. Anyone got suggestions on a hood or an exhaust fan that will work ?

I have been thinking on this subject also for when I build a shop. What I have been thinking is to install an exhaust fan / system which will draw fresh air in while forcing out the old air. I also plan on making the air flow adjustable to be able to adapt to conditions and also install a good CO monitor to measure the air quality. I will not allow the fire hazard or CO threat to force me outside. I WILL make arrangements to use the shop when I get one built, I have been too long without one.

Problem with CO monitors is reliability. My daughter is an arson investigator and fire inspector and she confirmed this. Recent testing had 1 in 8 sensors bad out of the box. Gel type sensors are the worst and need to be replaced after 2-3 yrs. Semi-conductor technology is supposed to be better and last up to 5 yrs. These have digital display which is a plus. The other problem with CO sensors is that they need to be mounted 20 feet from a fossil fuel burn source (stove/furnace/FORGE) Not saying not to use one, but I'm not sure they will work reliably in the smithy....Just my thoughts

The news of poor CO sensor reliability is a little disturbing. Sounds like there is reason to question the CO sensors on the market. Make certain that the ventilation system is engineered to supply adequate fresh air. As far as monitoring the air.......I guess I'll live on the edge with a questionable CO monitor.