I Forge Iron

Trammel

I had a gentleman call and ask if I had made trammels before. I told him yes if he was refering to the adjustable length S hooks for hanging pots and such over a fire to cook. he said he is wanting some to use in his 1700 period wood working shop. He prefered a saw tooth configuration to a bar with holes punched in it. Has any one made any like these? Please post a pic or give me a URL to see one.
:|

If you can find a copy of Alex Bealer's "The Art of Blacksmithing" have a look at page 263. This does not exactly have saw teeth, but shows the general concept.

Some exellent photos are available in "Colonial Wrought Iron" by Don Plummer, page 17. Those are a real work of art, and would be fun to make. Check with you local guild or possibly your library for a copy of these books.

Alan...I didn't realise punching holes in a bar by heating it up and driving a suitably sized slightly tapered round bar with a flat end into it from both sides was not a common pratice in the 1700's. You live and learn.

"Hooks Rings & Other Things, An Illustrated Index of New England Iron 1660-1860"; Frank T Barnes; The Christopher Publishing House, Hanover, MA; ISBN 0-8158-0440-7; p73 shows examples of saw tooth and holes in bar models dating from 'the 18th Century'