I Forge Iron

Different Side-Drafts

Hey all, I was looking at different peoples side draft coal forges. I noticed - seemed to have somehow never noticed this before - but some people have a side-draft where it's a "short table" & "you work straight into it" - excuse my lack of better terms. Example - Picture 1 While on the other hand people have a side-draft where it's a "long table" & you work through the side of it". Exmaple - Picture 2.

Are there advantages to either of them, I know that in the past forges were usually built for a specific type of work, farriery, wheelwright, blades, etc...
You can usually store more fuel on the longer table, and you support larger pieces of them as well. Why are they built that way - just felt like it, nessicty, wanted it that way, advantage??? Don't know if this is the right place or not, maybe this belongs in everything else.

12440.attach

12441.attach

I work across the forge at right angles to the side draft but much of my work is comprised of long bars and often having to take a heat in the middle of one. Anyone working straight into the draft will be doing short work, i.e. blades, horseshoes, tools, etc. since you are limited on how deep the work can go into the chimney.

The nice thing about any side draft is that you don't have to fight the hood so a large item like a wagon tire can be placed in the forge and heated without interference.

12454.attach