I Forge Iron

Spot the smithing in these pics..

Thought i would share this with you all as i have mentioned this project to a couple of folk recently. Its a mix of engineering fabrication and smithing. The materials are Phosphor bronze and coldurA a silicone bronze. The smithing exercise consisted in the forging of the female socket to accomodate the spindle (sq stock). I only have 5/8 coldurA so this was forged to 3/8 sq and then forged, on the diagonal, into a 5/8 round bottom swage giving a half round section. I then doctored an old chisel that gave a profile of 90 degrees and centered it along the length of the half round sect in the swage and continued to thump!! I had made a half round sect with a 90 degree v slot.
By repeating the process i had in my posession the bones of the female section, this was tig welded and dressed. I only made one female section per handle set and permanently tigged the spindle to the other handle. Ten sets later, and some many strokes of the file, patinated done deal.

12218.attach

12219.attach

12220.attach