Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'trowel'.
Knife number four - I found a shovel in the wood. Pretty rusted and dented but I took it home thinking it'll be bit of useful mild or wrought for something. I took a sliver off the bottom to see if it would harden, turns out tightening the vice on it was enough to break it after quenching. So I decided it'd be a good choice for a hori hori. I like rough finishes so I polished a bit but left a good deal of distress marks in. Hammered in a waist at the tang and worked around the edge so I'd have less to grind and kept the curve shallow as I wanted more knife than trowel, I didn't want a serrated portion. Grinding was interesting, I had a play with some offcuts and settled on bevelling the back and doing a flat grind on the front, it's given me a reasonably thick cutting edge. I'd thought I'd do something fun with the depth marker. Electro etch - table salt and 30mins at six volts, the curves on the stem marks 2cm intervals. I hadn't expected a strong grain ( or any grain) to the metal but I do like the end result. Gave it an oil quench and two two hour cycles in the oven at 205c. The handle's spalted blackthorn, I'd started shellacing but the paler area at the front just soaks it up so I let that dry and went for beeswax. I wish I'd gone for two pins now - that one being slightly out of line is bugging me but I'm generally thrilled with this.