I Forge Iron

American College Of The Building Arts Internships/appreticeship

I will be attending ACBA in August and I am excited about moving to Charleston. When I asked the question on the three internships that must be completed I was told they are 6-8 weeks and typically paid. They stated I will have the opportunity to study with blacksmiths around the world and I hope this is true. They also said they try to pair you up for your internship based on your skill level but you could also work to find your own internships.

I have seen some post on here about people who have attending ACBA and would like to know about your experience at the school as well as the internships. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on the school and internships if you care to share them. Any thoughts about internships abroad or staying here in the U.S would be great. Who if anyone accepts internships and might be interested in accepting me.

I believe that just wanting to learn this craft is not enough, you need to posses the ability to learn, the will not to give up and most importantly be able to take constructive criticism. I have been blacksmithing for a little over a year now and have only taken one class a few weeks ago at the Virginia Institute of Blacksmithing from Dale Morse. After the two days of class I could see how much I had improved. I contribute it to being able to listen to instructions and from being able to accept the knowledge that was being passed out. Any Thoughts or concerns would be great, thanks for reading.

Matt

Edited by msropp2