I Forge Iron

found another forge

Jason D

Hey guys I found another old forge today. I was trying to find out what might be a fair price to offer the lady. It has the blower which spins freely. It runs off of a flywheel. It just appears to me that there should be 2 flywheels. I did not get to take any pictures today, but I will. Anyway the flywheel that is there is aligned with the blower, but has a sprocket mounted on the shaft opposite of the blower. I like the forge it is a couple inches deeper than mine. Flap for ash dump is missing, of course not hard to make though.

Jason D.

it sounds simmlar to mine that has one flywheel alined with the blower and runs off a belt drive mine came seized up with no blower or fire pot so i paid too much at $75 but in your case try and get it down to $75 but i would be fine paying around $120 if its working with few repairs needed + some oil

It looks very similar to your pictures, the fly wheel may be exactly the same. So is that supposed to use two fly wheels, if not what is the sprocket for? Very nice photos by the way. I like that camp cookin too. One of my first tasks is going to be making a tripod for my wifes dutch oven, she loves to cook over a fire.

Thanks for the pics

I'm not exactly sure how the sprocket was tied in. I've had a couple of guys tell me that it was set up with a type of foot pedal and chain, and another said it was run off of an old engine. I'm not sure either of those ideas are correct. I'm going to peice it out and make myself a bigger "traveling forge" for demos. Glad you liked the pix. What part of Indiana are you in?

I can see the foot pedal theory, but now that you say that if there was another flywheel it would surely be a belt also. You know belt from wheel to wheel then belt again from wheel to blower. I'm not sure either, I am going to try to talk this lady out of that old thing. She is pretty well off and loves collecting antiques. So I guess we'll see.
I live in southern Indiana, Harrison county, Corydon to be exact. It is about thirty miles west north west of Louisville Ky.