I Forge Iron

Wiring a VFD Controller

wassomeoneelse

I am in the process of wiring up my KMG with a 2hp/3phase Baldor motor. I was able to pick up a Baldor VFD over the past weekend and am unsure how to wire it. I have read the booklet that comes with it and have wired it up initially. The power cord will be 10/2 with ground romex wire. I have the blank wire in the ground slot and the white in one side and black in the other.

In the second side of the VFD, I have a neutral/ground slot on the left and three slots on the right of it. I am running 10/3 wire to those and from there to the motor.

From looking at the picture of the motor, that is only loose wires hanging out. One is green and the rest are white. I believe there are three white wires coming out of the housing.

Any comments will be appreciated. I am unsure of what to do with the 10/3 wire hooked up to the motor. Do I just hook all three hots to the three whites coming out? Am I overlooking something?

THanks
Bryan

8772.attach

8773.attach

8774.attach

8775.attach

8777.attach

After getting home this afternoon, I looked closer at the wires coming out of the motor. I found a diagram on the side of the motor that has two pictures, one of high power and one of low power. After seeing that, I noticed that all the wires have a number on them. After comparing the way they were taped up together to the diagram. I figured they were configured for high power. Since it is a three phase motor running with a VFD, I have configured it to low power since the power running to the vfd is 220.
There are a total of nine wires coming out of it. Three of them you just tape up together and the other 6 are situated into pairs. At least from the way it is reading to me.
Bryan

Well after trying to make that big solid number ten wires stay in those little plates that are under the screws, I went back to the hardware store and bought some number 12 cord. It is more flexible and actually has many little copper wires instead of one big one. I am putting a little crimp thingie on the end that slides right around the screw. Fits perfect and is not hard to mess with at all. On the feed from the vfd to the motor I bought 20 ft of number 12 wire rated up to 600 volts. I am doing the same thing with those. Sure seems easier to handle now. THanks for the idea on if the motor is spinning backwards.
Thanks,
Bryan