I Forge Iron

Indoor wood stove as a forge

Chris brokkr

Ok I do not want to convert my indoor wood stove into a forge but tonight I went to feed the fire and noticed ( after a day in the forge) the coals that burn in the bottom of the stove burn real bright orange an orange I'd compare to my forge now the stove has a blower and an openable door under the fire so my question is could I heat steel in it hot enough to move? Not sure how the wife would take to me smithing in the basement but in reality wouldn't it work out? 

Your wood stove is not designed for that kind of heat. It would seriously overheat and the possibility of a flue fire is not out of the question.

I also heat with wood and have had several flue fires over the past 30 years, real scary to say the least, even with a fire extinguisher handy.

I did this when I wanted to get a feel for how metal moves when I was in my teens. Our wood stove always burned orange hot at the bottom when there was a good draft going and a bed of coals. I did precisely one project this way before I moved on to making my own custom charcoal forge for safety reasons and noise complaints from my family. Forging tends to spray extremely hot rust and sparks everywhere which is a major fire hazard as well. I highly recommend building a simple forge (outside) that uses charcoal if you want to get your feet wet.