I Forge Iron

American anvil ID

I have an anvil that I need help identifying.  It weighs approx. 115 +/- 5 lbs for scale accuracy.  It belonged to my grandfather who used it in the New York area, probably around the 1910s to 1930s.  It has a decent ring to it that lasts a few seconds when hit with a hammer.

I can only see two markings on the entire anvil.  First, the name on the side looks like the word “AMERICAN” but I can only make out the “ERICA”.  It also looks like AMERICAN could be in the shape of an oval.  The other marking is below “ERICA” and is either “1 2 2” or “L 2 2”.  It looks more like “L 2 2”.  I could find no other markings on feet or anywhere else.

I cleaned it with soap and water using a wire brush and tried the brushed flour trick to see the markings better.  I have included a few pictures.

I sure do appreciate any help you can give me. 

Bottom.JPG

Bottom 2.JPG

Full View.JPG

Side 2.JPG

Side 3.JPG

You are correct, it's an AMERICAN anvil made by the American Wrought Anvil Co., Brooklyn, NY around 1900, give or take. A very good usable anvil. It looks like yours is one of them that is also marked Dunn & Murcott, Brooklyn, NY (below the name American) You might want to wire wheel it, would look great and the name will come out more clearly.