I Forge Iron

Coming out of the shadows...

J5447

Hello everyone, 

I've been a fly on the wall for what feels like years now to this site.  Most of the time when I get online to research something, Google takes me STRAIGHT TO YOU GUYS!  There is an unlimited bank of knowledge here and from reading many of the threads and posts, the experience and expertise is definitely palpable.  Like another new member who said he never signed up because he never felt like he had anything to contribute, I was in the same shoes.  What finally caused me to sign up was all of the member content, and to upload some pics of my new anvil that I cannot identify.  That being said, I have meant to sign up and introduce myself for quite some time now, but everytime I log on, I get sucked in to reading older threads or looking up something I forgot to check out the last time I was at the computer!

I have little to no experience hammering metal, but I've always been drawn to welding and things of the like.  So far I've made a couple hooks, a little coal rake/poker, a rubic's twist and tried my hand at making a couple of hardy tools. Whenever the Blacksmiths are set up at the 4-H fair my wife has to practically drag me away from their booth.  I makde a small track anvil a couple years ago, and it has served its purpose for what I do out in my barn, but I just got serious recently and made an anvil purchase locally on craigslist (Posting in "show me your anvil" to follow.  I have plenty of hammers, chisels, and drifts that I've been gathering from garage and estate sales to start playing around some more so it's finally time to start doing it once I finish a few projects I have had planned around here.  

I have a wealth of scrap metal and junk to use for stock (I can get what seems like endless amounts of scrap steel from my job) and I just can't bring myself to throw stuff away, so I figure I'll see what I can do to turn this junk into something useful.  

Anyways, I look forward to further navigating the site, and learning as much as I can!

See you around,

J5447