I Forge Iron

looking for smiths in southern Ohio

hey guys, I have been lurking at this site for a while, i have just recently joined.  I am to put it simply a shade tree smith with experience in fixing old farm equipment and making small ornamentals for the house.   I am looking to gain some experience in the smithing world but I cannot find a group/club to join within a decent distance from my house.  I live in far southern Ohio just about as far south as you can get, KY and WV border my county.    So I am on here looking for some contacts that I could make in my region if any body is from this area.  Thanks in advance, Nank

I don't know how far you are willing to travel, but there is a historical village called Robbins Crossing on the Hocking College Campus that has a blacksmith Shop. They are only open on the weekends. You should be able to find some help there, that's where I got my start and spent many a year learning blacksmithing from the smith's there. Beyond I don't know of any other groups that far south. I hope this helps.

There is also a blacksmith that lives closer to coolville in Athens county that goes by the name of Herman, but I cannot remember his last name and I have lost his phone number and don't know how to contact him :( he used to do some smithing around the tri state at some festivals and that is where I met him.

Greetings! southern Ohio is a big place. I am over by Cincinnati. Clear your schedule and make arrangements to go to SOFA Quadstate in september. It is a wonderful event. I will actually be doing a little work at an antique machinery show this weekend just east of Cincinnati.