I Forge Iron

Potential First Anvil, looking for some advice

Yeah, I had to pounce on that when I got the chance. Paid the ask price, since I both wanted him to deliver somewhere and also had him paid with a cheque. It was a good deal already, you must have some decent bartering skills to talk him down that much. Did you see his other cool looking anvil set?

Yeah, I had to pounce on that when I got the chance. Paid the ask price, since I both wanted him to deliver somewhere and also had him paid with a cheque. It was a good deal already, you must have some decent bartering skills to talk him down that much. Did you see his other cool looking anvil set?

I pulled the "im only 16" card on him :P I saw the other set, it was interesting, but not something I have much use for, I liked the power hammer better ;)

Josh

Thanks to all for advice. I too am looking for an anvil for making larger knives. I want to make Parang's and the like. Probably a few throwing hawks...that type of thing. I'm going to go to some local scrap yards and see what I can find.
I may just try a really heavy block of steel, something like 4"-6" thick by 12 or so high by 24" or so long. Then I could weld feet on it, and mount on a suitable piece of hickory or oak log.
You guys really got me thinking.
Thanks so much.
Up here in MN, anvils are running way out of my reach, most selling foe 350.00 or more.
Thanks again, this is gonna be fun.

Whatever works, he seemed like a pretty nice guy too, so I can imagine him being easily talked down.

What's your current anvil?

He did seem very nice over the phone, I have a 210lb PW in ok condition but with a ton of sway in the face (drops about 1/4"), a 170lb PW that had a ton of welding repairs and has hairline cracks along the face. a 30lb tinsmith anvil and a 70lb farriers anvil i'm selling