I Forge Iron

Help with an old forge blower gear box

Joe C B

Hello all, I have this nice old blower gear box that's all bound up with rust. I have been soaking and heating but so far to no avail. This is a one piece cast iron box, I don't know how the thing was assembled. I guess that the shafts had to have been pressed in thru the sides and keyed to the gear hubs. The other thing are those bushings or what ever they are that suround the shafts, do these pull out or are they threaded into the gear box?  I sure would like to know how the thing comes apart before I start doing something rash. Any expierence with a gear box like this?

Much appreciate any help

Joe B

post-13780-0-59252500-1360355960_thumb.j

post-13780-0-43817300-1360355995_thumb.j

If you can get hold of the output shaft that the fan rode on, you might be able to get some leverage thru the gear train to get it broken loose.

Another thing I've done (when the wife isn't home) is to rinse all the excess oil and solvent out then run it through a full dishwasher cycle.  It's surprising what a little Dawn soap and hot water will do combined with the thermal growth generated by the drying cycle.

nh, thanks for that link... very informative and detailed, but unfortunatly pertains to the Champion blower. from what I read is entirelly different construction from the Midway that I'm dealing with.

For you guys with Champion blowers , be sure to bookmark that link for future reference

Joe B