I Forge Iron

Knife Talk I & II by Ed Fowler

PCornett

I have to say I found KT II a full two years before the first, and I also have to say I am surprised II ever got made. That is not to say that 1 is bad or poorly written. It is most definitely not. What it is, is a conversation with one of the most respected knife makers of this time. Its a collection of exposition and prose even, about knives, their forms, their materials and the people who love them. It is a travel guide for the people who love us on why we love knives. It is nearly poetry in some of its pages.

Knife Talk II is similar in that it is also a collection of articles from BLADE magazine. The difference comes in that it is more of a guide in how to develop a style of making knives, what to look for, and what to try to create. Not a technical guide perhaps, not outright anyway, but a tutor/mentor in developing a knife we can love and be proud to display to people.

One further note. Beware Mr. Fowler's sense of humor. He is not above making a joke now and then and the April Fool's article had me going for almost ten minutes until I had to go back and reread it, not being able to believe (for good reason) my own eyes.

Both are well worth the money.