I Forge Iron

New smith from NE Ohio

Hey guys. I’m a new smith (about two months into it). I have been slowly setting up my little smithy; I currently have a forge set up, a small anvil, a vise and a bucket of tools. I’m really having a blast with it! I joined my local ABANA chapter recently and have been learning a lot from those guys and am looking forward to getting more involved with that group. I have been "snooping" around this site for a while and have been very impressed by the knowledge and willingness to share of its members so I decided to join. I am interested in all aspects of the blacksmith’s trade and am just taking it all in at this point and trying a few things out as I go, kind of finding my own groove so to speak. A quick note about my name, der schmied. As some of you are aware that is German for "the blacksmith". My family has a rich German heritage on both sides, and a recent trip down ancestry lane found that several of my ancestors were blacksmiths in that country. Those discoveries lead to my interest in blacksmithing. Looking forward to learning from and sharing with you all!