I Forge Iron

Boynton & Plummer

menze

This was the first lever opperated blower I have seen, I do see there are a couple others on here now that I am trying to research them a little. this company seemed to be popular for other machines, but not much info regarding forges or blowers. I rebuilt it and had to make a few parts, just missing the leather straps and drive belt, working on sourcing them, (old harness reins). in another post on here someone mentioned the flywheel might be clutch driven, I'm not sure if mine is or not, the hub seems to be in two parts, and looks like it could be a clutch of some sort in there, i'll have to take it apart to see what makes it tick...
If anybody has some info on this please advise, thanks!

post-23977-0-17522900-1339447027_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Yes it is clutch driven and I have one simaliar to yours. If you take the clutch apart be sure you document the way it is put together. I took mine apart and am having trouble getting it back together so it will work. As for the leather belts they must be very flexible to work right and they also must be put on the correct way. I did not take a picture of mine before I took it apart and am now regretting it.