I Forge Iron

BLACKSMITHING SCHOOLS IN CENTRAL TEXAS OR MENTOR

James Russell

I am looking for a Blacksmithing school in my area or a mentor in my area to help me get into blacksmithing. I am located in Copperas Cove Texas, which is right outside Fort Hood. I am looking for a school that will accept my G.I. Bill, or a mentor who would be willing to teach me the basics. I am on a limited budget due to being medically retired from the military, so I cannot afford to pay much out of pocket to a mentor. I would like to learn the trade in a proper environment before I try to make my own forge. Any references would be much appreciated, everything I have turned up has been about 45 min of driving time or more away from my location and that would be too difficult of a commute financially to go to school. Thanks in advance for any advice or resources you can help me with.

James,
Balcones Forge is a Central Blacksmith Association. This is a great group of Artist / Blacksmiths with many of them very willing to share what they have learned over the years. They can be found at http://balconesforge.org/. We usually meet on the last Saturday of the month. For our big demo this year we have Elizabeth Brim to demo on May 5th & 6th just out of Marble Falls, Texas.

January 28 - We will meet at the Gunter Hotel in downtown San Antonio at the ABS Expo.
February 18 - Steephollow Forge in Bryan Texas - This is one I sure do not want to miss.
March 31 - Zilker Park in Austin Texas

Austin Community College has great Metal Working / Blacksmithing classes. Many of our members have or do attend.

It would be nice to meet you and help where we can,
Jerry W.