I Forge Iron

Introduction

JJ

My name is Jim Joyce (JJ). I own Bear Path Forge a full-time metalsmith shop on the Northern Calif coast about 3 hrs north of San Francisco. Primarily I make forged architectural metal work and home accessories. I also work a line of art projects, preferring organic forgings and sculpture of humans, animals & birds. I forge mild steel, carbon steels, copper, silver, silicon bronze, naval brass and stainless steel, using both propane and coal/coke.
For several years I have also taught blacksmithing classes: private classes, California Blacksmith Association classes, Mendocino Art Center classes and guest artist/instructor via the Santa Rosa Community College. Classes are usuallky weekends, throughout much of the year. We host weekend hammer in's about every 2 months. I teach all levels of blacksmithing from intro to advanced for both the hobbists and working smiths.
Bear Path Forge and Gallery
I am a member of the Artist Blacksmith Association of North America, the Appalachian Blacksmiths Association and the California Blacksmith Association.
I apprenticed in metalworking in the 1960's.