I Forge Iron

New to this forum and new to blacksmithing

mothflavour2

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm a robotics student at the British Columbia Institute of Technology here in Vancouver, I do all my personal electronic projects with a group of electronics enthusiasts at a studio downtown called the Vancouver Hackspace. I also work part time at a jeweller's supply store. Lately, I've been getting a few requests by some of my customers to make custom tools for them. Mostly things like dapping punches (basically what looks like a ball stake that you hammer into a matching die, with a sheet of silver in between. I've lately been working on getting a CNC machine running at the Hackspace (Sherline mill/lathe combo), but I still love to get my hands dirty. So over the winter break, a friend and I are going to set up his small forge and anvil, and hopefully just get a feel for working with hot metal. I've already taken out from both the Vancouver and BCIT libraries all the books on blacksmithing that they had. Eventually, I hope to be producing large sinusoidal stakes for silversmiths, and any other tools I can think of (chasing punches maybe?)

Anyway, I joined this forum because I was impressed with the number of members, and figured that a popular forum like this would benefit me in my learning. Thanks!

John.