I Forge Iron

Bradley Guided Helve Question

My 75# Bradley guided helve hammer has a feature I haven't seen on any others: the ram is attached to the helve by a steel pin through the ram. Has anyone else seen this? All the other Bradleys I've seen pictures of have the ram attached with a leather belt.

Wondering if mine came from the factory this way or was modified.

post-6986-087191800 1287111459_thumb.jpg

post-6986-046787300 1287111468_thumb.jpg

post-6986-094820200 1287111479_thumb.jpg

Your ram is not factory. The helve is not either. With the rubber cushion squashed like it is you are not getting the most from your hammer. If it suits you use it like it is. If you want to change it, it can be done.

Thanks Peacock.

That's what I thought. I do think the stretch provided by a leather strap would help the ram run straighter in its guides than what I have.

The cushion isn't really being squeezed much- its old and set in a permanently squashed shape. The hammer really needs new cushions- the rear two aren't much better.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not one to disagree with Phil at all, he is "the man" when it comes to hammers in my opinion. The only thing I would say is that Bradley did offer "machined" steel rams and die blocks, not sure thats what your ram is, but they were offered if im not mistaken.