I Forge Iron

What are these called

I don't know much about blacksmithing but I was going through/cleaning up some of my grandpas old stuff and found these in the garage. They seem like old thermometers for a furnace or forge??? The labels are half gone so I can't see a brand, does anyone know what these things are called or what they might go for on craigslist. I have 2 and they both appear to be exactly the same, both measure to 2,500 deg F.

temp3.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp.jpg

Thanks

They look like dipping pyrometers to me - used for taking molten metal temps in the crucible. The one's that I've used have either been straight of have a smoother arc in the center of the thermocouple shaft.

Whatever they are, they're a couple of cool looking tools!

They are not in good enough condition to be valuable to a collector and are too old/uncertified/obsolete to be of much use in any industrial application. There is a part number for replacement tips, so it looks like those are consumable; without a supply of spares (and given the cheap availability of modern/more accurate methods of ascertaining temperature) I'd say that you have what we in England would call a "White Elephant".

Speaking as a backyard metalcaster myself, what you have there is as rare as hen's teeth to find cheaply and in good condition. They would probably go well on ebay, you may want to check out a couple of metalcasting forums and offer them there. If I actually had money I would give you an offer, I would love to find one in that condition.

Ironworker90
I am located in Washington but I never use pyro's in my casting. I'll put the word out to my casting buddies but without knowing exactly what you have, the availability of consumables (if any) , and not being able attest to their accuracy, I don't think there'll be much more than "novelty" interest in them.

That being said, if I was into hanging fun looking tools on the wall, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat!

Give CL a try - usually you find someone who just can't live without what your selling! biggrin.gif

I'll PM you if I hear anything.