I Forge Iron

Deer Season

Hillbillysmith

Today is the opening day of the 2006-2007 Ohio Whitetail Deer season (archery). For those of you that hunt, what is/was your most memorable hunting trip/camp you have been on. I know for a fact that every hunter has a good "Deer-Camp" story to tell. So, let's hear it. For those of you that don't hunt personally, I'm sure that you know someone that does hunt. What do you remeber about any certain hunt your friend or family member went on?
If it helps, I'll tell you about one I had. About 3-4 years ago, I went to the southern part of Ohio with my dad and a family friend for deer shotgun season. One day I was in the woods, and mother nature called. So, I walked over to a tree and precided to do my business, and I backed into a coiled barbed-wire fence that I didn't see. OWwww! Needless to say, I quickly found another tree. :)

Hillbillysmith

My current favorite deer camp memory is when my four old grandson spent his first night and day in our deer hunting cabin during the firearms season last year. Counted himself to sleep at night and then the next morning ordered grandpa's special deer camp pancakes for breakfast.

I like to take the smaller bambi deer because they have done nothing but grow on the best food of the year and have'nt been through a winter. Don't much care about antlers- you have to boil them forever and they don't taste like much anyway. I shoot the small ones on purpose because it is the best venison. I will of course let a button buck go if I can tell so it can become a wallhanger for somone else. My buddies in camp give me a lot of ribbing for this, I get a lot of comments like "gee, your slug must have knocked the spots off"-ha ha. One year we took a bunch of opening day deer to the butcher, some nice bucks and a few big does. Each deer took two guys to carry in. Then I walked in with a pepsi in one hand and my deer under one arm. The butcher tossed it on the platform scale- 74 lbs dressed and he asked me "you want me to wrap that or are you going to eat it here?". Funny guy.

I have two reasonably entertaining stories...

My family hunted and fished to supplement what came from the grocery store so we ate a lot of small game, deer, turkey and fish plus I grew up on hunting stories from my grandpa and uncles. One of my uncles (named Willie) was a deer hunting sonofagun and since he farmed for a living, could take off more or less when he wanted during the season. He went out one weekend with my grandpa and uncle Paul and they split up about a 1/4 mile apart. When a shot was heard, grandpa and Paul went looking for Willie and found him bending over a nice buck. He was about to cut the deer open and start field dressing but they started talking. Couple minutes later, the buck stood up with Willie straddling him. A fight ensued with Willie trying to stab the buck while the deer trying to toss him. In the meantime, my grandpa and Paul just stood by and laughed their backsides off. Willie finally was able to stab the deer in the throat but he was beat up and his clothes shredded from the battle. Turns out after inspection that Willie's bullet had nicked an antler and momentarily knocked the deer senseless but he was otherwise fine so Willie was "bull-riding" a perfectly healthy buck. The other two guys loved telling that story but Wille didn't like hearing it told. Even a little 140 lb Texas deer can fight pretty hard.

The second story happened to me. When I was about 12, my grandpa and I went out one afternoon. He shot a doe right before dark but she ran off. Grandpa thought it best we go back to the house, eat supper and come back to get her, reasoning that she'd lay down and die. I was already a pretty good tracker and at an age that I wanted to be a grown-up so I volunteered to go search by myself.

The old men decided that was fine so they gave me a spot light and a knife. However, they told me not to cut the deer's throat if she was alive but to put my knee in her side and suffocate her. If she was already dead, I was to field dress her and come back to get them. I took off to the river bottom and within 20 minutes had found the doe. She was still alive so I tried to do what they said but kept getting kicked. I finally locked on, twisted the head back like a bulldogger and held on. During the struggle, the spotlight bulb got broken so I was suddenly in the dark, holding a dying and bloody animal, with the river bottom coming to life for the night (with all those animal noises). I held on for an eternity but when I let go, she took a breath and went back to fighting. However, the next time was the last and then she was gone. I gutted her in the dark and went back to the house. The old folks totally lost it when I walked in the house covered in gore and blood. I told them the story and the men just stared at me. My grandpa told me later they never thought the deer would be alive and were afraid I'd get hurt trying to stab a wounded animal so that was why I was given the "smothering" instructions. This became one of their favorite campfire stories and they would laugh about me always being good at following directions.

I will say that I lost all fear of the dark that night and probably matured some in the process but it sure wasn't planned...