I Forge Iron

The Blacksmith (Ironworker & Farrier)

parrish654

The blacksmith by Aldren A. Watson 1977 (A. K. A.) The villiage blacksmith original printing 1917 ISBN 0-393-32057-X
171 pages of most informative writing. It was a pleasure to read, and easy too, considering it was written first in 1917. This was the first book I tried to find after reading The blacksmith's craft and couldn't figure out why I could not find it. Little did I know it had been published under a different name. So if you have tried to find it and couldn't, this is probably why. I highly recommend it.::o:D

• 11 months later...

I'm going to agree with the finn. It's is a very good read and quite inspirational, but it would be a poor choice as a how-to manual. I really like the descriptions of the different types of work and the atmospheric prose, but Mr. Watson is a bit credulous as to the various blacksmithing myths pertaining to the knowledge and wisdom of the 'olden days'.

• 2 weeks later...

Upon checking my library I find that I have this book, but probably I haven't had time to read anything except the Preface. I know (at least I firmly believe) that I have at least one other blacksmithing book which is probably a vintage publication and I will try to find it and share it with those here if it is useful and hasn't been reviewed before.

I knew that this title looked familiar as I purused the reviews and now that I have located it I know why. It will certainly get a good reading now. :) For those who are interested I am adding a scan of the cover of my version of this book.

post-15635-0-12814000-1291663439_thumb.j