I Forge Iron

Where to get lessons

Hi all. I recently signed up to take intro blacksmithing classes at the craft center at my university, but got waitlisted and wasn't able to get in. I'd gotten pretty excited so that was a bit of a disappointment. The craft center lets you use the studio on your own, but only if you can demonstrate that you know what you're doing and can do it safely, so teaching myself isn't quite an option until I have the basics down. Since blacksmithing isn't exactly soccer or painting, I'm wondering where else a person could get lessons? I live around the Sacramento, CA area, and am not sure what other resources exist around me or how I would find them (I've already checked other art/craft centers in the area). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Freagul,
Though you mention it in your text, go to user cp and edit your location so folks can see at a glance where you're at. Now to answer your questions...

1. Join the California Blacksmith's Association (CBA). They come out with a bi-monthly journal and it lists in the back instructors by region.

2. There are a pile of instructors in the sacramento area. I don't know many of them by name, but know a few of them. John Crandall comes to mind. He was also until recently the education committee chairman of CBA and will know who most of the instructors in the bay area are.