I Forge Iron

part time blacksmith wanted in brisbane

howdy griffith,

and welcome to IFI. as long as you have your parents or guardians permission, happy to introduce you to blacksmithing. i will have to enquire on renewing my blue card due to your age, or have one of your parents present, and that is fine as well. mine would have expired. its been a couple of years since working with the scouts, and i had to have one then. I have sent you an email.

Hey thanks for the reply, i was just wondering what sort of work you do and weather this is more of a job or some general experiance, either way im still very interested. I also looked on the internet and found i only live about 20-30 mins away so it should be easy to get there and back. Ill have a talk to my parents tonight to see if there happy with it, and im sure they will be. thanks again!

Hey thanks for the reply, i was just wondering what sort of work you do and weather this is more of a job or some general experiance, either way im still very interested.

hi. up to you what you want to learn. happy to show you blacksmithing, use of welders and the like. i dont ask anything in return. obviousely if you want to make something that will be heavy on stock and consumables, contribute. as for swap learning for labour, if you want thats fine, but if i have a paying job and have you on a shovel, you will be paid.
bit of time, scrap and charcoal to get you into it and help you to make your own forge....too easy, no charge.
ill show you how to do something, then you do it, lots, till you do something else......lol:o

you will need*** a set of slip on leather steel cap work boots and a hat***.
long sleeve heavy cotton button up shirt with non metallic buttons, long heavy cotton work pants, and gloves if you have them. :)

hey griffith you will find double edge2 to be a very good patient teacher and very willing to share his knowledge

hi mike i actually wouldn't mind making a proper decent forge myself...if someone was prepared to guide me ;-)

no probs. decide on fuel and we'll start scrounging. :)

Hey there, i have a few full cotton shirts and some leather steel boots that are lace up, with these be ok? ill have to buy some cotton trousers and some gloves but that wont be a problem. Also if there is any day you have in mind (preferably saturday) ill try and make it. The main area of work i hope to get into is bladesmithing, such as camping knifes and mabey swords if i can. It will be great to get a taste of blacksmithing as i hope to get an apprenticeship with somebody someday so ill be able to tell them i know some basics. Thanks again!

Hey there, i have a few full cotton shirts and some leather steel boots that are lace up, with these be ok? ill have to buy some cotton trousers and some gloves but that wont be a problem. Also if there is any day you have in mind (preferably saturday) ill try and make it. The main area of work i hope to get into is bladesmithing, such as camping knifes and mabey swords if i can. It will be great to get a taste of blacksmithing as i hope to get an apprenticeship with somebody someday so ill be able to tell them i know some basics. Thanks again!
yep, blacksmithing. lace up ok. saturday morning ok, what time? lol....swords you say? all good, lets just get you started first. :) still waiting for the email with a phone number. Edited by double_edge2

Sounds like you may have the makings for a blacksmith's group in Queensland...ABA(Q) :) Good luck and if you need help don't hesitate to call on the ABA(V)

yeah righto, ill bite, i think:o
certainly give it a go.....now what?

the qld pac of micks backyard bodgie bunch of mongrel metal manglers?

Hey there, sorry for the late reply. It seems my dad has offered me a job working with him as a painter and i accepted so i wont be able to do a day with you for a while. Im still going to research blacksmithing and hopefully do it one day but its annoying since brisbane doesnt have a blacksmithing thing at uni, as i would have jumped at the chance of doing. Thanks again, ill still be part of the forum to pick up blacksmithing happenings around brisbane and try be a part of it!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, if you're still looking, I'm interested.

I've got a little bit of experience, to the extent of making fire tools, punches, chisels, and hooks. I'm interested in learning a lot more, hopefully you can teach me?

teach, who!? me? lol

no probs. ive sent an email and made phone contact.

so long as your'e under 25 yo, you've got at least 60 years experience plus, all your own tools, power hammer, press etc and can pressure vessel weld, lookin at .....mmm....at least $1.80 a day. (before gst):o Edited by double_edge2

• 3 months later...

this still here? if it is the offer stil stands.

Qld brisbane area,

anyone wanting an introduction/taste to blacksmithing and general fabrication. (this includes the female type blokettes as well as blokes)

looking at starting a little regular type BBQ face to face thing, for sharing of knowledge, techniques, ideas and general snag eating/coffee drinking, and playing with the forge.

and still looking for another blacksmith as per original add

email a phone number or pm etc.