I Forge Iron

Another forge welded bundle

Hi Brian,
I`m a newbie, and sure appreciate your excellent tutorials on what seems to be very basic for you. Soon I will have a forge (my first forge ever wow, bye, bye O/A torch, that`s very limiting. Congratulations, I love the humming bird, and the octopus is very nice too.Thanks for your generosity! nelson.

Hi Brian,
I`m a newbie, and sure appreciate your excellent tutorials on what seems to be very basic for you. Soon I will have a forge (my first forge ever wow, bye, bye O/A torch, that`s very limiting. Congratulations, I love the humming bird, and the octopus is very nice too.Thanks for your generosity! nelson.

You are very welcome, Nelson. I'm sure you'll like using a forge better than a torch, just be careful not to burn your steal. The torch experience you have should help you with that.
Forging is very basic, not just to me. Every time you touch a piece of hot metal with a hammer and anvil it does what it does, nothing more nothing less. It does what you do to it. You're in control. The thought behind it all is the difficult part. You need to know where you're going and make it happen.
You're in control. You just put your material under the dies, and it practically makes itself. I have had more success getting this across to people who have never done this type of work. I could give specific examples of first time forging experiences other than my son's, but I am very slow at typing. I have done more "banging away" than anyone I know.[what I mean by "banging away" is forging without knowing exactly what will happen and accepting what comes instead of choosing what will happen], and I wish I had more basic information to start with. That is why I am trying to share this information; I expect others to go alot further with forging than I'll ever go with my tme left to forge.

Hi Brian,
As a newbie to this site, and newbie to forging so to speak,I`m sure many like me appreciate your excellent tutorials. That`s very generous from your part, and in regards to the humming bird and the octo, man they`re great ! Congratulations. Nelson.

• 3 weeks later...
Wonderful work Brian- Thanks for shairing... Hope to see more

Are you teaching any classes in the nor-cal area anytime soon?

I'll be in Placerville the middle of May at the Northern Califonia Classic demonstating. I don't think there is any charge. This event has been going on for over 20 years. It is a horseshoeing competition. If you have never seen one, you should make it a point to come. I think Karen posted it in the Calender.

• 4 weeks later...

I did another forge welded bundle yesterday. This one is made with 1/4"x 1/2" and 1/8"x1/2" with a 1/8"x3/4" collar. This is not one of my best examples, you can see where it didn't weld at the base of the wings and body. The smaller the collar is, the less opportunity you have to secure your weld. I've done bigger ones like this for lamp brackets and sconces.

13995.attach

13996.attach

13997.attach

13998.attach

13999.attach

14000.attach

14001.attach

14002.attach

"I'll leave it as is so others can see what not to do."

This is my philosophy so that "I " can see what not to do. I have a rather large collection of stuff from over the years. sometimes it really helps in development of other stuff. I keep bolt boxes of misc stuff ( rings, handles etc).

Bryan, you do impeccable work. Wish I could have met you at the BAM conference. Seems I stay busy and busy is good. Hope to someday meet you and watch you work.

• 2 months later...

I made a collar out of 3/8" X 1 1/2" to hold the pieces together. That wide piece in the middle is a spacer that gets the bird leg away from the cat tails, and it gives me something to hold on to while I'm forge welding it. I nicked that piece with a chisel at its base so I could break it off in the end. I'm glad you noticed! This is a very simple forging but alot of thought and consideration goes into making it successful.

I haven't tried the forge welding yet. Hope to before to long. Do you clean all the square bases with a file before assembling for welding or is just wire brushing enough? I expect you only need to flux the outer surfaces of the joints real well. Is this assumption correct?
Wish you were on the east coast.

Dick

Dick, you really don't have to clean the pieces or wire brush them. The borax floats the scale away and cleans the surfaces. I flux only once. This is the easiest weld to succeed at because its easy to place exactly where you want it to heat it and the only parts touching your anvil and hammer are where you are trying to weld.