I Forge Iron

First finished knife

Ecart

Hello all, It's been a while since I've posted. But it wasn't wasted time; I've been busy trying to produce a serviceable knife. And now I've done it!
This is a small camp/utility knife. It is made from 3/16" circular saw blade steel. The handle slabs are Bobinga with brass screws from Pop's knife supplies.
Maybe one day I'll try to post pics to the forum gallery. :rolleyes:

Stats:
OAL: 9"
Blade Length: Right around 4 3/16"
Blade Width at ricasso: 1 1/8"
Blade is tempered at 400 degrees in a toaster oven for a couple of hours.

I know there are obvious flaws with the knife as at least one of the pics shows. This one was more stock removal than forged although I did forge down the edge bevels some. The next project- that I hope to start this coming week- will have the edge bevels forged closer to the end results. . . I hope.
So, what do you think? Any constructive criticism is certainly welcome.

12076.attach

12077.attach

12078.attach

Thanks. You should see the ones I scrapped! I'm a severe perfectionist and when the knife ventured a little from what it was supposed to be in my mind's eye, then it was junk. Finally my wife said, "JUST FINISH A KNIFE!!!! Don't worry about shape or anything like that, just finish one!" Then I realized that this perfectionist attitude was getting me nowhere. I've messed up on this knife more times than I can count, but it came out pretty good. I love it, but I'm anxious to do a little better on the next one.

And that's how it starts, learning from your mistakes and improving the next go around so and so forth. I'm a firm believer that a smart man learns from his mistakes and a wise man learns from other peoples mistakes. Unfortunately (for me anyway) you don't have anybody to watch and learn from, just yourself. I always tell myself to not be too over critical on any first time projects. At least wait until i learn most of the ins and outs of whatever project I'm doing.
Anyway that looks ten times better than my first knife.(if that makes you feel better:D). keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rok. Yeah, sooner or later you have to realize that no blade you make is going to be perfect, especially when you first start out. The best advice I can give is: just make a knife. Don't worry about making it a certain shape or specific type. One of the two knives I'm working on now started out as a drop point utility. With one slip-up, I changed the shape. I found that I liked the new shape it took so I hammered it into something that- to me anyway- looks more mideastern in origin. I think It'll make a good skinner.

Good job,

It is not about not making any mistakes. The more we learn, the more we see that we could do differently.

It is about enjoying the process of discovery and skill development, which you are doing. Besides, it is a lot of fun to whack red hot steal and have it move (even a little) like you want it to.

keep up the good work,

Kevin