oakwoodforge

I used to be a file ... tanto

Some old knives have file remnants left in the blade to show they were made of high carbon metal, rather than softer iron. If it were up to me, I'd say leave them.

File teeth are better suited for bowies and rough type knives, I say go for the clean look.
Just my opinion , I like the file look just not on that one.

Mark

I agree with Demetrius if done right the file remnants look nice. I have even seen some where you can read the brand name of the file.
Just a though

Ok I'm looking for some suggestions here, should I leave the file "remnants" for character or grind them away ? What do you think ?

Thanks,

Jens

Well it depends on what you intend to do with it. I like to leave the file traces in place and it seems to add to the intrest in the knife. OTH, if you think that you are dealing with Japanese Knife style purists then you will need to take it off.

Personally I have very mixed feelings about "reproduction" designs.

I like to show the origin of the material if it is relevant to what I might want to say about the kife.

Some threads are like that. They come back up later. Even if it doesn't help the original poster anymore it still helps everybody else.

Personally I feel that a utility type knife can have artifacts from its origin, but a highly defined style of knife should be finished in its style.

Phil

Rereading the post, you ARE the original poster, got a pic of the finished knife with its furniture on it?
Phil