I Forge Iron

wire that holds your billets

jimbob

I know a lot of guys use the one pound of bailing wire that one can get at the hardware store ...the trouble is once you take off the piece that secures the bundle the wire tends to unravel ...before you cut the wire that secures the bundle take a roll of electrical tape and start going all around the bundle the clip the wire and continue wrapping the tape all around so it looks like a big hockey puck. on one siode cut the center out so it looks like a donut on one side. now pull the wire from the inside of the bundle you wan't have the birds nest!

Edited by steve sells
correct bad typo

First wrap the roll in duct tape. Clip and remove the wire that holds it. Pull wire from the center. All coiled products from bailing wire to manila rope to wire rope and so on are intended to be uncoiled from the center.

Frosty

First wrap the roll in duct tape. Clip and remove the wire that holds it. Pull wire from the center. All coiled products from bailing wire to manila rope to wire rope and so on are intended to be uncoiled from the center.

Frosty

you must be a real redneck Frosty...duck tape and bailing wire... I wasn't going to use them together

As I understand it, bailing wire and tie wire are two different things, one a reused product used to hold a bail of hay together, recently replaced by twine, and the other a new product sold in neat little coils. I would hate to think of how many of those small coils of tie wire you would have to carry into the field in order to bail a load of hay.

I recently saw tie wire (used in construction industry) sold in 100 pound coils in two sizes. The vendor had a full pallet with the coils stacked almost waist high. I am sure the ag suppliers have something similar.

Being so far north and west I don't worry what folk in the lower 48 think. In fact, Wasilla uses more duct tape than any other city in the country, maybe the world.

Nobody locally uses bailing wire, it's all twine but I believe you can still get it. At least I saw some three wire bales of alfalfa a couple years ago.

Picking up the little rolls it's called "mechanic's wire" or the larger rolls for tieing rebar it's tie wire.

Electrical tape. Backwards bunch of suthnus. :rolleyes:

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

I like to take a coffe can with a lid, punch a small hole in the centre of the lid. Thread the wire though the hole and the coil sits in the can and unwinds when i pull on the wire. You can use the e tape and duck tape to hold the lid down......

I have a neighbor that had a pile of bailing wire 5' high by about 8' wide and 20' long. She managed to sell it when scrap was real high.

I have several year supply of it that was hung on fence posts around the sheep pen when I bought this place. Particularly nice as rusty baling wire is less likely to weld to the billet than clean fresh stuff.

ReBar tie wire was what I used when I lived in more civilized places.

• 2 years later...

Thomas,

I know, RIGHT?? I was as shocked to learn recently, you can also used Elmer's glue and coat hangers independently!!

i can only guess as to what would necessitate the use of those two together. on the other hand, i'm not sure i want to know.

• 2 months later...

Baling wire and duct tape together,
Back in the 1960's my Dad was one of the Kentucky Flying Service "recovery Crew" who went and recovered broken, crashed and UNPAID for airplanes.
To the baling wire and duct tape add boom handles to the list. A Piper J-3 Cub had landed in a pasture after running out of gas. It was almost stopped when one of the main wheels went into a hole and broke part of that sides gear structure off. While it was laying there one wing tip on the ground, a small boy decided to walk up the wing, and placed a hole in the fabric between every single rib. Dad arrived in the infamous 63 Chevy pickup, and from the back came a case of 200 mile an hour tape. That is the nice brown green ARMY duct tape 6" wide. The wing fabric was restored with duct tape. The wing was picked up by yours truley, and a couple of broom sticks, lots of baling wire and more duct tape got the wheel in the right place. 5 gallons of gas, a quick twist of the prop and the 65Hp 4 banger was barking sweetly. Dad Gave it full power, with me holding the wing up on the bad side and I ran till I could not keep up. He had the rudder and aeleron over hard and had the wheel off the ground and flew it out. When he landed, He landed in the grass right in front of the ramp, and taxi'ed in with that wheel not touching. When it was where he wanted it, he chopped power and as the wheel touched it slowely sagged till the wing was almost touching. MUCH cheaper to fix in the hanger instead of disassembling and trailoring it back :)

When we were re-possessing unpaid for aircraft, my small size made me handy to slip in thru baggage doors. Seems almost all of the aircraft, even the million dollar ones had the same $0.79 cabinet lock on the baggage doors:)Balling wire and duct tape was often used to hold the seat backs in place where I had pushed thru. Once I was in, I checked that the Mags were off, and exited as I unlocked, and walked back to the airplane that had brought us and waited. They did not want an 8 to 12 year old around if the owner showed up mad:)

Later when I was 16, and about 5'5" and 175 and all upper body, I was often flown to Piper Azetec twins that had a burned up starter. KFS ran 8 of those and one would eat a starter every couple of weeks. (they were getting 100 hours a week per plane) Being short and stout, I could UP-PROP those 520 cubic inch air cooled 8 cylinders. Most folks could not as the prop center was too low to the ground to prop like a regular engine. So I got to fly there in an Aztec, getting instruction for free, we gave the good airplane to the pilot with the passengers, and we took the dead engine bird. I would prop it, and we would fly home me getting more flight time. I had 200 hours of flight instruction in Twins, before I solo'ed on my 16 birthday.
It was worth it to fly me there trade planes and then fix the airplane at its home base.

And there I was thinking some of my fly-boy(particularly the ones into aerobatics) mates were chancers! :)

Our local police advise us not to have wire coat hangers in the home in case of home invasions, the criminals put your hands into them with a piece of broomhandle between and wind-- a really unpleasant set of handcuffs.

Here we call 4mm galv. wire Bloudraad(bluewire) you add that to a pair of fencing pliers and you have a farm welding kit.

One of my farmer friends one told me if you can't fix it with wire and duct tape you either bought crap in the first place or a computer!

Ian