I Forge Iron

Throwing axes

Hello:

Here's a pair of throwing axes/tomahawks that I just finsihed up. Soft iron poll and body with a 1060 insert edge. Bladed width approx 3" with pierced work. Slow rust brown finish on a flamed and oiled hickory hafting.

Thought I'd share.

JPH

5.attach

Howdy:

Ok...on the peirced work...what I did is well..this is like so simple to do it's just well...you'll see...

First make a hole..I punch these usually, and let them cool slowly, and after that I then take one of those "rod saws" and cut the design. I usually draw that on with a p[encil for a guide.Takes like 15 minutes or so to cut. It actually takes longer to do the rust browning than anything else.

I think that the browning is just "sexier" than the rougher black forge finish, plus not everyone and their uncle knows how to do it...not that it's that hard to do..but still it is rather unique...

Actually I liked the way these turned out...too bad I haven't made any in the last 12 years or so...

JPH

I really like those Doc :)

Reminds me of being camped out by a lake in Sweden and being woken up the next morning by a strange "swiff,swiff,swiff,THUNK"!! sound.
Got out the tent to discover a bunch of Swedish pensioners next door practicing their axe throwing skills with a HUGE ( to my eyes :) ) double headed throwing axe and managed to persuade then to let me have a go myself. One of the younger chaps had two little bearded axes he was throwing as well, which brings me to the relevancy. They were pierced too, in the shape of a star burst (8 pointed star).
Any way I really liked them and those sort of reminded me of them, great work.
:)

Ian:
Oh yeah tossing axes can be a fun way to spend a few hours or an afternoon. You get the rotation right you can stick them pretty much every time.. i find that I get a better stick and accuracy if I throw then blade backwards. This strikes with the handle "up" rather than "down". Looks funnier than a cross eyed duck but for me it works. Plus if you are playing handles, it's harder to get hit.

There are a few different ways to throw these things and have them work..I guess it's all on what your use to. One guy in my club throws them almsot sideways and well, it's kind of odd to watch but it works for him...He also htrows underhanded sometimes as well..that is also interesting to watch. Usually I throw overhanded mostly blade to the rear as I get better range and for me a bit better accuracy. I am working on a couple more with a heart piercing that I will post when they are done browning. Forged and fitted these last night so the start to brown this morning. Just wish it didn't take so long to do but man the results are worth it. It looks so NICE...Oh interesting note on the browning..if you boil the pieces in distilled water for about an hour or two the browning will turn/blue black for the old "rust blue"... I might do this on a couple for grins and giggles...

JPH

Howdy!!

Ok on the browning, there are two ways to go about this that I know of...one is the "old way" which uses "organic" materials and the other is the "new way" using chemicals.

While there are ready mix "browning formulea" out there like from Laurel Mountain Forge and a few other places I do not like the finish as much as I do the traditional way it's done. Plus you have to be really picky and careful on how you apply the "new stuff"..put on too much and you'll not get a decent brown so I use the old ways.

For the squeamish the easiest is to use the chemical mix, "aqua regia"..which is basically nitric acid and water. I use 1 part nitric acid to 5 parts distilled water. Starting with a "fresh" surface ("raw" metal here..) and wearing rubber gloves apply a coating of the AR and the steel will almost immediately "darken". Now I hang these from a rod in a trash can while browning. Apply the re-agent three or 4 times a day for two to three days. These will look horrid during the process. They will turn black, blue, red, orange or any combination of these. On the third day after you got a really "fuzzy" coating card off the loose rust. I use a wire brush, you can use steel wool. After you card off the loose rust you should see a nice brown coating starting to form..Re-apply the re-agent again three or 4 times a day. For a smoother coat card off every other application, for a "rougher" brown, do not card off until the 3rd or 4th day after the first carding. At this time you should have a nice brown. If not..simply re-apply more re-agent and give it another couple of days.

Now this is very dependant upon humidity in your area. Here in Las Vegas where it is very dry it usually takes me 14 to 17 days to get a nice brown, in the SE, say Georgia or Mississippi it might take only 6 or 7 days, if that.

Neutralize using baking soda and water "paste" and then dry and oil. You MAY get some scaling off of the loose rust a day or two after but that is normal. Just clean it off and re-oil. PAste wax will also help seal the surface but as it is..it's already passivated..

The "Organic" way is applied the same as above except you use boiled down horse urine. I get a gallon or two and reduce it down to 1/4 volume. Now if you value your domestic tranquility boil it down outside, and in a non reactive (glass or ceramic) vessel. Stainless steel CAN etch doing this so... Once you get it boiled down the smell isn't all THAT bad, a bit fragrant but hey...you're tough and you will "sacrifice" for your "art" right??

The colours you get depends upon the materials....mild steel and high carbon tend to be a chocolate brown...alloy steels tend to be a bit more "tawny" in colour... All in all....I like the finish. It just looks "sexy" and besides, not a whole lot of folks do it, yet...

If you have any questions, by all means feel free to ask..

JPH

Howdy!! Here are two more I just finished with out any blade piercing. Here again, these rae a soft iron poll with a high carbon steel edge, rust browned. I love that finish on an axe. I make these to accept the more or less "standard" tomahawk handle, with some hand fitting. These are after all hand forged axe heads.

JPH

17.attach

• 2 years later...
How do you get thosehorses to pee in the bucket.:confused: I have the horses.

Just like anyone else, potty training takes time, also note that the Males have it easier getting to the bucket than the females, Aiming troubles with the ladies dont ya know. :D

My brother raises Morgans, IF ya place a bucket near where they usually "go" you will get some, or you can collect it in the stalls. Use your imagination.