I Forge Iron

Borax flux warning

Today I was reading over and old issue of The Anvil's Ring when I came upon something I've never heard mentioned before.

From The Anvil's Ring Volume 7 Number 4, December 1979 I quote;
"Samuel Yellin told those of us who worked for him to never use borax as a welding flux. He claimed that the fumes produced are toxic.
Frances Whitaker
Aspen, Colorado."

Comments, views???

Check here for Hazard Information on Borax. Sodium borate decahydrate Once again if you don't have a MSDS for every chemical in your shop, GET ONE and read it instead of using it to start the fire in your forge :) the life you save may be your own. I think I did a blueprint story on Toxicology or Respiratory Protection or something like that you might want to check the archives and if you find it there look here Toxicology part 1 and part 2

Borax isn't healthy. They use boric acid as insecticide-borax is some sort of derivative of that. If you buy any flux from sellers get an MSDS sheet-if it's a guy at a hammer in make him get an MSDS or don't buy it. Life is short enough as it is, without being made sick by stuff we drop in our fires.
Mark

EVERYTHING is toxic it just varies on how much and how your exposed to it.

Think of how many people get killed each year by water! Better give up using *that*! Oxygen is toxic----better not breath any of it!

Remember that there is a MSDS for sandbox sand too due to the dangers of silicosis.

As things go Borax is pretty harmless with a high LD50 requirement. Note that it's poison_class is 5 the lowest toxicity class there is besides 5S for unrestricted use stuff. 2000-5000mg/kg is consided a LD50 for Borax so I would have to eat apx 1.1 to 2.75 *pounds* of it to have a 50% chance of killing myself.

Boric acid is used in eyedrops as well as roach killers and for a real killer look at table salt--sodium and chlorine both HIGHLY TOXIC, of course if you have too little of it in your system you die too.

May I suggest folks do not over react; My personal limit for when I should start worrying is when the danger is higher than the danger of driving my car to work each weekday, otherwise it tends to be like straining at gnats while swallowing camels. Remember too that just burning coal produces many toxic fumes including radioactives (coal is a big trap for radionucleides), mercury, CO, etc.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Think of how many people get killed each year by water! Better give up using *that*! Oxygen is toxic----better not breath any of it!

Remember that there is a MSDS for sandbox sand too due to the dangers of silicosis.

As things go Borax is pretty harmless with a high LD50 requirement. Note that it's poison_class is 5 the lowest toxicity class there is besides 5S for unrestricted use stuff. 2000-5000mg/kg is consided a LD50 for Borax so I would have to eat apx 1.1 to 2.75 *pounds* of it to have a 50% chance of killing myself.

Boric acid is used in eyedrops as well as roach killers and for a real killer look at table salt--sodium and chlorine both HIGHLY TOXIC, of course if you have too little of it in your system you die too.

May I suggest folks do not over react; My personal limit for when I should start worrying is when the danger is higher than the danger of driving my car to work each weekday, otherwise it tends to be like straining at gnats while swallowing camels. Remember too that just burning coal produces many toxic fumes including radioactives (coal is a big trap for radionucleides), mercury, CO, etc.

Thank you Thomas!

I used some boric acid for fleas, I didn't vacuum it up as well as I should of under the computer table. Over time I started to notice that the flesh around my big toe and second toe was starting to peel. It took over 3 years for it to finally heal up. Not that it was painful especially but definitely destroyed the skin some layers deep, anecdotal yes, and its not borax, it was boric acid over the counter from the drug store. And It did say vacuum it up completely which I didn't. It was my fault, but if you are mixing boric acid with your flux just be a bit careful with it. below is a site with the low down on boric acid and stuff. The site I got it off of for fleas says its a "non-pesticide"

http://www.pesticide.org/boricacid.pdf

I use borax as flux. I am also familiar with msds sheets as well as anyone with a lot of training in their use. Keep them in mind when you do a rather frequent analysis of your shop and what it can not only for you but also to you. both long term and short term. In the msds there is only one mention of what happens when borax is heated. It loses its water. I have no proof but an instinctinve feeling that when is is heated to the level that we use to forge weld it may have other properties not so benign. Woth out doing my own research project on this i take the same precautions I use for many of the visible or not so visible by-products of my work that I feel may in some way harm me.
Stay out of the fumes of this product when heated. As I do all the fumes I can see when heated. This also includes smoke from burning wood or other combustibles. And do not forget the denizens that we cannot see. The biggest example of course is carbon monoxide. And the biggest offender in smithing shops is the gas forge. Bottom line prepare for what you may face when working. Think about what yoiu are about to do and how it will affect you or others. Get the information to protect yourself from what you use. And keep msds sheets on file for what you have in the shop. Keep the original containers or properly label allo containers as to there contents. Do a srvey of your shop with a critical eye and think through what you use and when did you last use it. If you have had something that may be harmful for twenty years and hove not used it find a proper way for disposal.
It is hard not to ramble on this matter but I will cut it here...be safe

Ive searched a bit yesterday and read that sheet that bogs just put up and i came to the my own conclution that only the fumes would be of concern, If any. Its probably one of the most harmless things you will ever manipulate.
Pretty benign compared to coal dust and smoke, eh? ;)

Coal Dust (less than 5% SiO2)
" Protective clothing should be worn to prevent any possibility of skin contact."

As an industrial safety guy, I would say that the 20 Mule Team is a very non scary MSDS. You can almost always find a limit for airborne dust of 5 to 10 Mg/m cubed of air, for any dust. Toxic stuff like asbestos will be much lower. Crystaline silica will be much lower.
Always avoid inhaling dust, as it is not good for you.
As ThomsP notes this is not a very dangerous material. I would expect that if used in a properly vented coal forge the fume will go up the stack.

I expect that you get exposed to far more dangerous materials, in higher concentration every time you fill your gas tank. and if you are a smoker you are self exposing to hundreds times more compounds and level of toxic materials.

Safety guy out

Thank you for the clarity Thomas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done different types of welding over time. I recently braze welded sheet metal in a under ventilated area and inhaled a strong dose of the fumes caused by the brass rod that was pre-coated with a white flux, I assume it was a borax based flux. I have been experiencing a on and off cough and irritation ever since about 7 days now. Will this clear up by itself or should I seek medical treatment?
Thanks Greg G

Edited by mod07
COlor edit

I have done different types of welding over time. I recently braze welded sheet metal in a under ventilated area and inhaled a strong dose of the fumes caused by the brass rod that was pre-coated with a white flux, I assume it was a borax based flux. I have been experiencing a on and off cough and irritation ever since about 7 days now. Will this clear up by itself or should I seek medical treatment?
Thanks Greg G

If it were me, I'd rush to a hospital!:o
You might want to do the same. Edited by mod07
quote edit

Thank you Black Forge and Dan OHare,
I went to Kaiser this morning as you both suggested and explained what I did to cause the effects to myself, they checked me a few ways and did a chest Xray and said things look Ok and that there may be a slight amount of inflammation with the lining of my lungs, but for the most part it should clear up...
thanks again guys, I found you through a Google post. By the way I enjoy what you do for a living... I'm a dental tech, but enrolled into a welding Class at Pierce collage before switching to Dental...
Regards Greg G

Edited by mod07