I Forge Iron

tinning flux, supplies and how too... need help

Hi all-
I've been teaching myself how to spin copper with the help of Terry Tynan's DVDs. I have just spun a few bowls in copper and would like to apply food grade tinning to them. I have searched all over the net for supplies and info on this elusive art form. I have found one YouTube clip and very scant written directions... Does anyone out there in net land have sources and info for tinning supplies and techniques?
Many thanks for any and all help!!!
Peter

• 1 month later...

I have searched for a base metal supplier and found rotometals out of the SF Bay area of California. They have more base metals than anywhere I can find and a good selection of alloys. I don't think they have tinning flux but they do carry 99.9% Tin ingots and food-grade tin wire.

Because the heat is pretty low when tinning the flux can be pretty soft. I have had good luck with the wax type plumbers fluxes. Plumbing solders are mostly tin as they are now mostly made lead free. Some plumbing suppliers will carry bar solder which should work fine for tinning bowls (make sure it is the lead free type though... roofers still use solders with lead in it).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...